The Nigerian law defines Optometry simply as the art and science of vision care. In a layman’s language, our scope of practice includes a comprehensive eye examination, treatment of minor ocular diseases, correction of errors of refraction using glasses and contact lenses, orthotics which has to do with the management of vision imbalance between the two eyes and muscular imbalance between the two eyes, contact lens practice and general eye care.
OPTOMETRISTS are licensed to diagnose and treat diseases of the eye through topical, diagnostic, and therapeutic drugs.
A DISPENSING OPTICIAN, is a technical practitioner who designs, fits and dispenses corrective lenses for the correction of a person’s vision following prescriptions from the optometrists.
- Making sure the rules & Regulation, Accreditation are been kept in check.
- Structures, trained to prescribe and fit lens to improve vision.
- Registration, Regulation, Accreditation & Licensing of Training Institutions -Universities, Colleges of Health Technology.
Our vision is to be a world class rated optometrists & dispensing opticians registration and regulatory body ensuring that the professionals are people with personal integrity with global competitive competencies.
To protect the public by providing world class regulatory, registration and educational services and providing high standards of education in accordance with existing laws for optometrists and dispensing opticians in Nigeria.
- Optometrists & dispensing opticians centeredness.
- Honesty, transparency and accountability.
- Staff motivation and development.
- Dynamism and proactiveness.
- Efficiency in resource management.